The Global SinoPhoto Awards 2020
The Global SinoPhoto Awards 2020 was launched in September 2020 by Yintong Betser, the Managing Director of ACTIVE and Lynne Bryant, the creator of the Architectural Photography Awards.
The Awards invited all people, regardless of age, race or location, to share their photos of how they have engaged with or have been inspired by Chinese culture. Photographers from 29 countries participated with about 700 entry pictures. The images illustrate a generational dichotomy: people racing into the future and undeniably steeped in tradition. The strength of the entries shows the different elements the medium of photography can include: observation, social commentary, interpretation and creativity.
The winners were voted and assessed by a panel of distinguish judges consisting of photography experts and artists:
- Gemma Barnett: Director of Print Sales, The Photographers’ Gallery, London
- Yao Lu: Beijing-based artist and Professor of Photography at the Central Academy of Fine Arts, Beijing China
- Richard Bryant: Hon. FRIBA, Hon Doc. Design Kingston University London: Photographer of Spaces and Places
- Kimberly Hoang: Senior Picture Editor, The Guardian Newspapers and Save the Children
- Patrik Schumacher: Principal of Zaha Hadid Architects, Chief Designer of Beijing Daxing International Airport
During the Chinese New Year in 2021, we proudly announce the winners of the Awards: Du Baoxian, a Chinese female photographer based in Australia has become the overall winner of the inaugural Global SinoPhoto Awards and winner of the ACE UK Group Award, ‘Us, Now’ category with ‘Me’: A composite image of 10 self-portrait photographs shot during the lockdown in the spring of 2020, winning a prize of $2500.
Alongside Du’s winning image are the winners of the other GSPA categories, who have each won $250.
Due to the lockdown, we were unable to stage an award ceremony, instead, all winning and commended images, as well as the judges’ own artworks are being exhibited in the xGallery - an interactive 3D Virtual Reality gallery, kindly provided by our sponsor SmartStoneVR, accessible via www.xspaces.io.